EB-5 Visa - The USA Investment Visa
Emigrating to the United States via the EB-5 Investor Visa allows you and your family to live, work or retire anywhere within the United States.
The EB-5 immigrant investor visa attracts foreign capital into the USA and creates jobs for American workers.
It allows a person and his or her immediate family to obtain a green card (live permanently in the US) by investing in an enterprise that creates jobs for American Workers. The minimum amount of money to invest is $500,000 (plus administrative, legal and USCIS filing fees) if you invest in a rural or high unemployment area that has been designated as a targeted employment area or TEA.
For foreign investors seeking the freedom and flexibility to live and work in the United States, the EB-5 Investment Visa Program provides an excellent opportunity to obtain Green Cards.
A Green Card provides Permanent Residency for the applicant, his or her spouse and any unmarried offspring under the age of 21. The EB5 investment visa route to a green card avoids the usual requirement of having family connections, securing a job or running an actively traded business - making it a viable route to retirement.
Advantages of the EB-5 Investment Visa Program
- No Sponsor Needed - Foreign investors use their own personal funds and do not require sponsorship from either an employer or a family member.
- Regional Center Investment Programs - Many of the approved EB-5 regional centers allow foreign investors to invest in prearranged programs in high unemployment areas for only $500,000, plus administrative, legal and USCIS filing fees.
- Permanent Residency - Foreign investors may make a passive investment with few or no day-to-day management responsibilities for their investment program. The EB-5 Visa provides investors with a Green Card thereby allowing foreign investors to live and work in the United States in any capacity.
Important Notice: Processing Times
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and U.S. Department of State (USDOS) processing times for I-526 Petitions and the adjustment of status or consular processing cases are not predictable, notwithstanding published processing times by these agencies. Delays in processing may occur. USCIS and USDOS advise EB-5 participants not to make changes in any living, employment, schooling or other lifestyle arrangements before receiving conditional lawful permanent resident (CLPR) through the EB-5 Visa Program.
Important Notice: Common EB-5 Risk Factors
Please see the link at the bottom of this page titled "Important Information & Disclaimer" for common EB-5 private placement risk factors. This is not an exhaustive list. Prospective EB-5 investors must carefully review specific disclosures provided within a private placement memorandum.
The Different EB-5 Investment Visa Options
There are two main EB-5 Investment programs - the Direct EB-5 Visa Program and the EB-5 Visa Regional Center Program.
Direct EB-5 Visa Program
In order for an applicant to qualify under the Direct EB-5 Visa program, they must meet the following three requirements:
- Make an investment in a new commercial enterprise.
- Make an investment of at least $1 million into that enterprise, $500,000 if the enterprise is located in a rural or high unemployment area.
- Lead to the creation of direct employment for at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.
The investment may consist of the contribution of various forms of capital, including cash, equipment, inventory, property, and other tangible equivalents.
EB-5 Visa Regional Center Program
This involves an investment in a commercial enterprise affiliated with a Regional Center. The minimum investment is $500,000 if the commercial enterprise is located in a rural or high unemployment area.
The EB-5 policy management requirement permits the investor to invest as a limited partner and still qualify as long as the limited partners have a policy-making role. Thus, for those who are not interested in day-to-day management Regional Center programs offer a more acceptable form of investment.
The investor is not required to live in the place of investment; rather, he or she can live wherever he/she wishes in the United States.
The Regional Center Program removes the employee requirement of the Regular program and replaces it with a less restrictive "indirect employment creation," which allows the investor to qualify by proving a combination of 10 direct and/or indirect employees.
The EB-5 Regional Center Program Benefits
- A direct route to a Green Card
- No day-to-day business management
- Permanent residency in the United States for you, your partner and any unmarried children under 21
- Live, work and retire anywhere in the United States
- Opportunity to become a U.S Citizen after 5 years of being a green card holder
Each Regional Center program must be pre-approved by CIS (Citizen and Immigration Services) in order to be eligible to qualify for EB-5 Visa Green Cards.